Simple service projects reflect the importance of giving back, and a St. Michael and Albertville day focused on that purpose also aims to show people opportunities for community service in the area.
A community-wide family service day organized by Alleluia Lutheran Church in St. Michael will bring groups together to complete hands-on service projects.
The event will take place on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m at Albertville City Hall. The event, part of the church's "40 Days of Community" is open to the public.
The event is known as Better Together, and families of all ages are invited to attend. A diverse group of organizations will be represented and fun, kid-friendly service activities will be provided at each “station” for families to complete. Through the groups, people can also learn about other community service opportunities.
Better Together organizations and activities include:
- Breakfast Bags for Ronald McDonald House
- 363 Days - Sandwich-making for the Homeless
- Tie Blankets for Children's Hospital and Hanover Food Shelf
- Hygiene Kits for parents of children hospitalized at the Monticello and Buffalo Hospitals
- Winter Coats stuffed with hats, mittens, snacks, hygiene items for those homeless in Wright County
- Cards for local seniors at the Legacy and Crow River Senior Centers
- Placemats for Meals on Wheels in St. Michael and Albertville
- Birthday Bags for the Hanover Food Shelf
- Coupons for Military Families
This is a free event and organizers said the gift of time and service is welcome and appreciated.
For those who can't attend Saturday, but still want to help, the church is accepting the following donations for giving back: hats, mittens, small hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.), granola bars, fruit snacks, crackers, trail mix, fruit cups, cake mix, frosting, birthday candles and napkins, and non-expired coupon ads.
For questions or more information, contact Alleluia Lutheran Church office at (763) 497-5816.