Mama mallard is back.
The popular duck who has made regional news for nesting in the courtyard at Big Woods Elementary school is back this year, but has nested in a new spot.
According to Principal Lee Brown, the duck has laid a few eggs ... a baker's dozen! Most or all of the 13 eggs should hatch around May 6.
The students have dubbed the duck "Mallary Woods," Brown said.
Last year's coverage can be found here, when the duck also laid 13 eggs.
Students and staff are aware of the protection laws in place over the duck and her nest, and have helped guide the birds to water after hatches in the past.
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- New Homes for Sale in the St. Michael Area This Week
- What Does the Minnesota Education Bill Mean for STMA Schools?
- U of M Law Prof on MN Gay Marriage: David FitzSimmons Is 'Hero' for Religious Freedom
- St. Michael-Albertville High School Graduation Guide
- Minnesota Gas Prices Soaring; Where to Go in STMA for Cheapest Fuel