October is Cancer Awareness and Prevention Month. inFIT and Anytime Fitness in Albertville are teaming up with Patch and YOU to provide the most current cancer prevention strategies.
Cancer is a disease that starts in the cells of the body. From there, the body’s basic unit of life, it can spread into other tissue without control.
From an Exercise Professional and Nutrition Coach point of view the body is more than its makeup, genes and dispositions. You cannot control the irritants in the air you breathe, but you can control what you ingest and the activity level of your lifestyle.
Here are 8 thoughts about how you can prevent cancer today. Please keep in mind that if you feel like you hear the same recommendations everywhere- that it might be time to start living them!
1) Did you know that minimum of 4 hours exercise weekly are recommended to prevent cancer? No more excuses, get your shake on in a fun dance class or sweat in aerobics and strength.
2) The average American does not meet the minimum requirements of produce intake. The white potato has not shown to reduce the risk of cancer. So, make sure to eat your fruits and veggies! You are what you eat and your cells depend on your stewardship. Three to five servings of each fruit and vegetables daily.
3) I bet you haven’t heard this one before: Cease all tobacco consumption. Duh!
4) Self care and cleaning products from the store tend to be way too harsh to your system. Check out alternative products that are biodegradable and don’t pose a constant health threat to you. E.g. Norwex, Melaleuca, Daisy Blue etc.
5) Stay away from vegetable oils as much as you can. When oils are heated up, they suffer oxidative damage. In other words, they become carcinogenetic and are another constant source of irritants to your system. For cooking with lower heat use organic butter. For more heat, steam with water and drizzle cold pressed olive oil over the plate when you serve the meal.
6) Start using coconut oil in the kitchen for frying, baking, adding it to
your smoothie, grilling etc. coconut is anti-inflammatory and with that a
substantial boost for your immune system, beneficial to everybody’s health and prevention of cancer (unless you are allergic to nuts).
7) Take your sugar intake seriously. You may be tempted to think "it’s just a treat", but to your system it’s an overload of ingredients that are harmful in the consumed doses of an average American. Sugar, in opposite to Coconut oil, is highly inflammatory. That means it weakens your immune system and is comparable to throwing oil into fire. Try to stay sugar (and artificial sweetener) free for one month and notice how your health and ENERGY flourishes, even while everybody else catches the flu!
8) Keep a close watch on your heart. Inner peace, positive thoughts about self and others and hope for the future are vital to a healthy and happy life. For more information on cancer prevention, contact me, Christina Zaczkowski, at email@example.com
Thanks and as always, I welcome your comments and questions!!