St. Michael Elementary School
The oldest building in the St. Michael-Albertville School District, St. Michael Elementary has also served as an elementary school and middle school in District 885. It is now home to more than 500 elementary school students, serving St. Michael's south side. Sheila Bichler is the school principal.
On May 3, 2010, the St. Michael-Albertville school board unanimously voted to approve the implementation of an elementary Chinese language program. Xie Hui (Shannon) started working with students at St. Michael Elementary in the fall of 2010. Students in grades 1 through 4 will have a 30- to 40-minute Chinese class once every six days. The integration of various content areas, such as social studies, science and language arts, allows Chinese to be seamlessly incorporated into the existing student day. Currently, only seven Minnesota school districts (2 percent) offer Chinese at the elementary school level.
The addition of Chinese places STMA in the forefront of world language education. STMA is dedicated to providing its students with the necessary tools to thrive in a global and multicultural economy.
- Fax: 763-497-6592
- Hours: School: Mon - Fri, 7:30am - 2:15pm; Sat - Sun, closed. Office: Mon - Fri, 7am - 3pm; Sat - Sun, closed.
- Handicap Accessible: Ramps, parking lot spaces
- Number of students: 540
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 20:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 29
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Volunteers assist teachers throughout the school year, and St. Michael Elementary's Parent-Teacher Organization is the oldest in the community.
- Grade levels: 1–4
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Computer lab, Library, Sports facilities